Sunday, March 15, 2009

'Stunned' is how I put it.

(Image found at Jennifer Warnes.com)

3/15/09
So – I did the Jennifer Warnes/Famous Blue Raincoat show yesterday on Six Degrees. 
Right now – even with the errors that occurred I committed - it is ranking up there as one of my favorite shows. Attributable, certainly, to the quality of the material.
I’ve written elsewhere about how I recently came to discover the album twenty-two years after it was first released. By the end of the show yesterday I was thinking “You could fall in love with this voice!”.
Listening to the album I found myself wishing that I could have been there when it was being made. Such a stellar group of players and singers – they made Cohen’s material more than it had ever been, in my opinion.

One of the things that I love about doing this show is how I’m led to discover music and players that I wasn’t aware of. I started out with the similarities of ‘Bird on a Wire’ and ‘Nightshift’ thinking that they must have a producer in common in addition to having a drummer in common. I was wrong about that, but was led to discover C. Roscoe Beck. He’s a bassist and he did the production on Famous Blue Raincoat.

My best word to you: if you thought you knew who Jennifer Warnes was based on the soundtrack hits, do yourself a HUGE favor and get this disk.

3/15/09 11:30 PM
PS – Sent a fan letter to Jennifer Warnes through her website earlier today – received two responses from her portal guardian, a very warm person named Dee Perez. Later in the evening my socks were blown off by a personal response from Jennifer Warnes herself. Such graciousness and a gorgeous voice to boot! Too much.
I’m smitten, for sure.

1 comment:

James said...

"Jennifer has the best pipes in the business"-Leonard COhen.