Sunday, January 20, 2008

Details, details . . .



Been having an ongoing discussion with my interlocutor about the methodology of my linking. If anything, my reputation in general is one of consistent inconsistency.
On the one hand, Joe questions the use of a songwriter-in-common as a valid link - but he finishes with " . . . but it's your show, you make up the rules." Arrrgh!
As I look back over the Challenges there is a clear 'catch-as-catch-can' element. (Say that three times fast - you'll break your teeth!)
Let's say that I aspire to the purity of an "In the same place at the same time" quality of connection.
The last one I did - Rudy Vallee to Carly Simon - was a stumper. I got stalled on the Rudy end for a while. It's not as if he didn't have a long and broad career, I just couldn't make a link work. I ended up using (needing!) The Village People to put a breathing Rudy in the last quarter of the 20th Century. Real hand-to-hand, that - but then I completely break down into flimsy links based on who-formed-what-record-company. Granted, being able to include The Village People and Captain Beefheart in the trip makes the calisthenics worthwhile. Also, I like the idea that before yesterday, no one around here had heard "Bat Chain Puller" coming out of their radios for a few years. At least.

The Rudy-Vallee-to-Carly-Simon challenge was featured on the January 19 show, which had a secondary (lame-ass) theme of "About a Quarter to Three".

No comments: