Saturday, December 15, 2007

Piece of Cake


When my crackpot-heckler-friend in Philadelphia challenged me to link Soupy Sales to Roy Orbison within six degrees, I thought ‘my Christmas Goose is cooked’.
But – my face is all smiley now.
(Did I really just put the words “but” and “face” in close proximity? Not confusing to read them, but if you heard them . . . never mind.)

Did Soupy Sales sing? He mugged - he encouraged little kids to go through their parents' wallets and purses - he threw pies - but did he sing? The answer is yes, after a fashion.
I found Soupy Sales and Roy Orbison linked by the songwriter Boudleaux Bryant.
Mr. Boudleaux Bryant makes the connection between Soupy Sales and Roy Orbison just three steps. :0)
I guess that means I have time for a nap.

Here’s the connection – Boudleaux Bryant wrote “Let’s think about Living” which Soupy Sales recorded, he also wrote “Love Hurts” which was recorded by Roy Orbison.

He wrote “Bye Bye Love”, “All I Have to do is Dream”, and “Wake up, Little Susie” - among others - for the Everly Brothers.
He wrote tunes for Pee Wee King and His Golden West Cowboys, such as “Sugar Beet” and “Congratulations Joe”.
It looks like Mr. Pee Wee King wrote some of his own songs, too. “That Cheap Look in your Eye” is my favorite. And I’ve never even heard it.

The Soupy-Sales-to-Roy-Orbison challenge was featured on the December 22 show, which had the minor theme "Boys and Girls".

No comments: