Saturday, December 1, 2007

I Like Music . . .

. . . and I like to talk. So says me.
A couple of months ago I was invited - who knows why - to come down to the radio station of The Center for Community Arts. They are a grass roots organization here in Cape May - started a few years ago with arts classes for kids. There's a lot more to it, of course, but one of the things they did was start their own radio station. A volunteer named Drew Butkocy started the license application to the FCC and shepherded it through about 5 years of steps. They went on the air just over a year ago. I was invited to volunteer as a DJ. Actually, I think Ellen had something to do with all this. I said "sure". I trained with a veteran DJ for a couple of days and then signed into the schedule to play the station's jazz CDs on the air. Someone told me that if one could get an underwriter and come up with an idea for a show - well, there you'd be. So here I am. Having a blast. I'll post playlists here and if I can figure out how, I'll have some music.
Oh, if you're within 10 miles of Cape May you might be able to pick us up at 101.5 on the FM dial - WCFA.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful! I had the opportunity to be involved with a jazz radio show in Flagstaff that brodcasted out to the reservation called, 'Jazz from the Mesas'. They let me, a young punk, come on and talk about his favorite sax players and give a demonstration of his journeyman knowledge of the literature. It was great. Waiting for the aurora borealis to kick in so we can here some of what your spinnin'.