Saturday, September 13, 2008

Technology rears its head . . .


. . . and many citizens are frightened in Sectors R and S. (With apologies to Firesign Theatre)
I made the first mp3 recording of the show today. (Wild applause sound) 
Not got it all worked out yet - the output that I tapped for the feed to the digital recorder seemed to be heavily loaded into the left channel, with little or no signal in the right hand channel. I'll be checking into that. 
What's next? A list of tasks: load the mp3 file into my computer and maybe load it into the "Audacity" program for a bit of editing - get online and get my domain Six Degrees.fm pointing to the chunk of bandwidth that I pay for (but never use) at Mac.com. - whack together a quick website for said chunk of bandwidth (or maybe it's just server space???)
If I knew what I was doing, I might be dangerous.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! I am impressed and glad to know the show will be available to the multitudes of fans beyond the reach of 101.5FM.

Josh McHugh said...

Stoked - ready to subscribe via iTunes. I think Feedburner can possibly help you out there? But you have to be able to generate an RSS feed. I've been looking into it myself.

Odd, but the way to do it most easily is to use an outside service that sends little bots to your site to see if it's been updated. If it has, they report back to the mothership, and it republishes the XML code that constitutes your RSS feed. Pretty sure.

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I'm no engineer, but I do know that you should double check that you've got stereo line in to both channels on your recording device, that the cables are working properly and that the devices know you want to record in stereo. Now I'll help myself to one of those beers in the cooler and stand around while you fix it.